Suggested water mass definitions for the central and northern Barents Sea, and the adjacent Nansen Basin: Workshop Report
The current research focus on the northern Barents Sea and the adjacent Nansen Basin has highlighted a need for common reference terms when discussing water mass origins and modification processes. Several relevant water mass definitions have been proposed and applied over the years, but these often focus either on water masses in the southern and central part of the Barents Sea, or on the deep interior Arctic Ocean. This report provides suggestions for quite broad water mass definitions that can be applied throughout this region – supplied by additional, more specific definitions as needed.
- Lind, S., & R. B. Ingvaldsen (2012). Variability and impacts of Atlantic Water entering the Barents Sea from the north. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, 62, 70-88.
- Lind, S., R. B. Ingvaldsen, T. Furevik (2018). Arctic warming hotspot in the northern Barents Sea linked to declining sea-ice import. Nature climate change, 8(7), 634-639.
- Loeng, H. (1991). Features of the physical oceanographic conditions of the Barents Sea. Polar Research, 10(1), 5-18. https://doi.org/10.3402/polar.v10i1.6723Mosby, H. (1938). SvalbardWaters. Geofys. Publ. 12, 1–86.
- Mosby, H. (1938). Svalbard Waters. Geofysiske Publikasjoner 12, 1–86.
- Pfirman, S.L., D. Bauch, and T. Gammelsrød (1994), The Northern Barents Sea: Water Mass Distribution and Modification, in The Polar Oceans and Their Role in Shaping the Global Enviroment: The Nansen Centennial Volume, edited by O. Johannessen, R. Muench, and J. Overland, vol 85 of AGU Geophysical Monograph, American Geophysical Union, pp. 77-94.
- Rudels,B., G. Bjørk, J. Nilsson, P. Winsor, I. Lake, C. Nohr (2005). The interaction between waters from the Arctic Ocean and the Nordic Seas north of Fram Strait and along the East Greenland Current: results from the Arctic Ocean-02 Oden expedition. Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 55, Issues 1&2, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2004.06.008
- Screen, J. A., & I. Simmonds (2010). Increasing fall‐winter energy loss from the Arctic Ocean and its role in Arctic temperature amplification. Geophysical Research Letters, 37(16).